Musings of a Postmodern Negro

"During times of war, hatred becomes quite respectable, even though it has to masquerade often under the guise of patriotism."- Howard Thurman

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, April 03, 2005

My baby boy turned 7 today

I was reminded that blogs are supposed to be more like a personal journal. Of course I have also been told that blogs can be anything you want it to be. So I thought I'd put up something a little personal about myself and the fam. I am married (wife's name is Yashica) with fo' kids (Isaiah, Israel, Abraham, and Deborah). I guess you can tell I used to be a fundamentalist. All my kids have Bible names. Its cool though. They love it. Their names have profound meanings. Which means alot to me. Especially now that I work in a local Social Security office here in North Carolina. Some of the names black folks name their children. I have entertained writing a book about that particular topic: Why do black folks name their kids that way? I have various theories as to why but that's for another discussion. What I do want to talk about is my baby boy, Abraham. I wanted to post a picture of him here but I don't know how to. I will have to read up on it.

He is number three. He turned seven years old today. We had a beautiful birthday party for him today. Some of my friends brought their chillen over for the festivities. It was quite a kingdom extravaganza. Black and white kids tearing up my front and backyard. It was beautiful. But Abraham had a great time. We are blessed by God to have friends to share these kinds of moments.

Ant

5 Comments:

Anonymous emergent postmodern taiwanese said...

if you have a digital picture of your son on a computer, you can use www.tinypic.com to upload it onto the web, then link it to your blog by using "img src" html language.

April 04, 2005 12:02 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Good stuff. I'm just north of you in Burlington, NC, and my wife & I are expecting our 4th offspring in October. So this Christmas we'll have children who are 6, 4, 2, and 0. Any advice about being doubleteamed by children let me know!

April 04, 2005 12:52 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Your remark about black folks and the names for their children makes me smile because my mom and I have that engaged in this conversation many times. My husband and I don't have kids yet we have three imaginary children that we refer to as our joke about this topic gets bigger and bigger. Our imaginary kids are Darquan, Shaneequa, and Billy.

July 03, 2005 4:32 PM  
Blogger postmodernegro said...

kristine,

I think part of the naming we see in some quarters of the black community is deeply connected to the desire to be a part of history that goes beyond our time here in America. I think it is search for a history and tradition that gives rise to sought after uniqueness.

But along with this searching after uniqueness and "place" in the world these names don't mean anything at all which suggests to me that along with the search for meaning and a place in the world there is also a nihilism and despair that goes along with it. In our search for meaningful and unique names we are engaging in a form of nihilism. We have names that don't really mean anything except a sort of open ended quest for meaning and "place".

That's my two cents.

BTW, I work for the Social Security Administration. So I see all the names. Sometimes I just want to cry sista. I have seen black folks name their kids everything from Lexus to Alizae (I think that's how you spell it...you know that drank).

Ant

Ant

July 05, 2005 5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for a marvelous read, Anthony Smith! I often wonder about these things when I start to get back into list of baby girls names. Where do you think the desire comes from? Doesn't it seem like a natural human thing to want something like list of baby girls names?

November 18, 2005 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home