Musings of a Postmodern Negro

"During times of war, hatred becomes quite respectable, even though it has to masquerade often under the guise of patriotism."- Howard Thurman

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Jazz as resistance to the Principalities


I am bringing some of this together now. I have a quote from Rodney Clapp, a respected voice in the evangelical world, that really captured the connection between the jazz images I posted earlier and my recent post. I thought this was insightful:

Jazz can make us-especially the 'us' of white, middle- and upper-class, relatively comfortable American believers-better Christians. Put more pointedly and specifically, jazz can correct what James Cone, I am afraid with all too much justification, has called the "the heresy of white Christianity." (p.185)


This is from Clapp's book Border Crossings. This particular quote is from chapter 18 titled "That Glorious Mongrel: How Jazz Can Correct the Heresy of White Christianity"

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A, I'd like to see a few more quotes from the chapter to get a little more on how Clapp (and you) see this role for jazz. I think that I fell in love with jazz because of the stories and the musicians who surrounded it, stories and people enveloped in a fight for freedom. The defiance of Miles. The anger of Mingus. The joy of Ellington. All the sounds of breaking free. --Zossima

September 07, 2005 9:47 PM  
Blogger Lukas McKnight said...

As a jazz lover, I know this: God and jazz can solve everything.

September 09, 2005 4:19 PM  
Blogger jazztheo said...

lukas I agree,

i am becoming more and more convinced that the God we serve is a God of jazz.

September 13, 2005 10:56 PM  
Blogger Morphea said...

Lukas, you have uttered the new maxim for my life. Brilliant man, you are.

Cerise

September 15, 2005 12:16 AM  
Blogger postmodernegro said...

z,

i'll be posting some more stuff from Clapp's essay. i've been terribly busy with preparing for this civitas conference and some family stuff.

ant

September 19, 2005 6:16 AM  
Blogger Delwyn Campbell said...

I guess y'all have never listened to a good Shirley Caesar song then...

October 16, 2005 11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home